Newstead Fire Company
In late 1946, Mr. William Pearles
began a search of residents to establish fire protection in the town of
Newstead. On October 28, 1947, it was
decided that the fire company officially be formed because the village fire
department’s “two mile radius” rule left a portion of the town
unprotected. The first officers of the
Newstead Fire Company were nominated and elected. They were as follows: President: Walter Fleming; VP: Matthew
Capan; Secretary: Tom Sinsel and Treasurer: August Drachenberg. Five Directors were also elected and were as
follows: Samuel Freeman, Earle Morse, George Frampton, William Pearles and
Louis Caple. On November 4, 1947, the
body accepted the Certificate of Incorporation.
On January 6th 1948,
William Pearles was elected the first fire chief and one year later, the
Newstead Fire Company purchased its first fire truck from the Clarence Fire
Company for $2800. It was housed at Sam
Freeman’s garage on Main Road, near the Clarence line.
On September 12, 1949 the body
agreed to purchase our current property from Edwin “Pete” Draper on Cummings
road for $800. The first meeting held
in the new block building firehall was on June 12th, 1950. That hall
served its purpose for a long time, and the spring of 1977 saw the construction
of our current hall. A few years later,
Newstead Fire Company was the first of the surrounding companies to have a
substation, ours was build in the early 1980’s on Rapids Road and we still have
a building there today.
This has been adapted from the Newstead Fire Company’s book
entitled “The First Fifty Years.” It was compiled and edited by David Cummings
in 1997 for our 50th anniversary.